JCOPE HEARING OFFICER
The Joint Commission on Public Ethics is seeking qualified candidates to serve as per diem hearing officers. Check it out at https://jcope.ny.gov/employment-opportunities. If you have any questions you may contact Ms. Monica Stamm, Esq, general counsel to JCOPE at Monica.Stamm@jcope.ny.gov.
DESCRIPTION OF SERVICE: At the determination of the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics (“Commission”), an independent and impartial hearing officer will be selected at random to preside over a hearing or appeal relating to a matter pending before the Commission. The hearing officer conducts formal hearings, renders decision on certain appeals, and considers questions of fact and of law in connection with administrative proceedings of and applications to the Commission.
Specific activities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts hearings and proceeding concerning alleged violations of §§73, 73-a and 74 of the Public Officers Law, §107 of the Civil Service Law, and Article one-A of the Legislative Law in accordance with the Adjudicatory Proceedings and Appeals Procedures adopted by the Commission, set forth in 19 NYCRR 941 and available on the Commission’s website at http://jcope.ny.gov/law/ethc/Part941.pdf .
- Presides at administrative hearings concerning the resolution of issues of fact and of law; administers oaths or affirmations; may issue subpoenas for the attendance of witnesses or evidence; provides for the taking of testimony by interview; and regulates the course of the hearings, setting time and place; evaluates evidence.
- Researches questions of law and precedent; evaluates existing legal precedent for guidance in formulating opinions.
- Evaluates evidence elicited during formal hearing process; performs analysis of legal questions which arise during the course of formal hearings.
- Prepares written findings of fact and recommendation for the Commission at the close of a hearing or proceeding.
- Hears administrative appeals.
Qualifications: Law degree required; at least 10 years of legal experience required, including trial and/or arbitration experience; judicial/hearing officer experience preferred.
There are no upcoming events.